Calling all bakers for the 3rd Annual Kyle Pie in the Sky – Pie Baking Competition hosted and sponsored by the Plum Creek Recreation Committee!
- The contest is open to children and adults and in the following categories:
- Youth Division: 17 years old and under
- Any dessert pie
- Adult Division: 18 years and over
- Fruit (i.e., Blackberry, Strawberry, Rhubarb)
- Savory (i.e., Pecan, Chess, Buckeye)*NO PIES THAT REQUIRE REFRIGERATION MAY BE ENTERED (i.e., Dairy or Cream Pies)
2. Amateur and novice bakers only may enter. Professional bakers or those who earn a portion of their livelihood from baking or cooking may not enter the contest.
3. Each contestant must submit a completed entry form in person at Kyle Pie in the Sky. An entry fee of $5.00 will be collected on the day of the event when your pie is submitted for the contest.
4. Only one entry per person, per category. Each contestant must bake one pie for judges to test.
5. Pies must be turned in between 7:45am and 8:30am at the Lake Kyle Office (700 Lehman Rd.) on Sunday, September 1, 2019. No late entries will be accepted.
6. Each pie must be baked in a disposable 9″ pie pan. Each pie must include a serving utensil and a cover, both of which should also be disposable.
7. Each pie must be made from scratch; pie fillings and/or pre-made crusts are not acceptable.
8. A copy of your pie recipe with a list of ingredients, recipe name, contestant name, and phone number must be provided on a 3″x5″ card at the time of drop-off but will not be shared with the public.
1. Contestants will be allowed free admission into the festival. Please arrive at Lake Kyle via Bunton Rd and Lehman Rd. (near Lehman HS). Let security at the road closure know you are dropping off a pie for the pie baking contest and show them your pie.
2. Enter Lake Kyle via the main entrance of the park. Again, show security your pie and let them know you are dropping off your pie for the pie baking contest. They will direct you to parking.
3. You will check-in at the breezeway at the Lake Kyle offices. From there, you can take your pie to the Pie Cafe where the pie baking contest will be held.
1. Judging will take place at 9:00am.
2. There will be a minimum of three judges per category. Judges will not know participant names.
3. Each pie will be judged on the following criteria:
a. 30%: Overall appearance: crust and filling color, creative detailing, even distribution of filling, etc.
b. 30%: Overall flavor: fresh taste, texture, doneness, consistency, etc.
c. 30%: Originality: creativity in appearance and flavor
d. 10%: Judge’s Discretion
4. The decision of the judges are final.
5. The public is invited to watch the judging and have some pie after judging is completed.
1. Each category will be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and overall for each category.
2. A Grand Champion will be chosen from the 1st place pies of the Youth division and Adult divisions combined.
3. Winners will be announced at the main stage at 10:00am.
Click here to download the registration form.
Please email Jennifer Crosby at firstname.lastname@example.org.